Call for Proposals: Funding of €24.5 Million for New Ludwig Boltzmann Institutes

bridges vol. 12, December 2006 / Noteworthy Information

Although the year 2006 is drawing to an end, the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft (LBG) has given it yet another interesting facet by launching their second call for proposals for establishing new Ludwig Boltzmann Institutes.



The call was already issued on October 18, and will be open for submission of short proposals until February 16, 2007, at 5 p.m. For this call, the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft provides funds in the total amount of €24.5 million. These funds are designated for a period of seven years, meaning the allocation of a maximum of €3.5 million per year. Of the specific budget allocated to newly established institutes, 60 percent is provided by the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft and the remaining 40 percent by the partner organizations.

The aim of this call is to set up Ludwig Boltzmann Institutes oriented to high excellence all across Austria. To facilitate partnerships and synergies, Ludwig Boltzmann Institutes are required to operate with at least three institutional partners. Therefore the LBG addresses scientific and public institutions and NGOs, as well as companies, in their call for proposals. The participation of one or more foreign partners in the consortium is regarded positively, if the added value gained from the international partnership is noticeable and comprehensible, and the strategic center - and therefore the main application of resources - is situated and carried out in Austria.

The appointment of new Ludwig Boltzmann Institutes is the result of a multilevel selection process. The call for proposals starts with the public invitation to submit a short proposal. The incoming short proposals are then reviewed by international experts.

Based on the results of the review, a jury consisting mainly of internationl members will issue a recommendation to the board of the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft. Applicants who receive a positive recommendation from the jury will be invited by the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft to submit a long proposal. These long proposals are then subjected to another international review. Again a recommendation will be issued by the jury based on the review as well as on an interview with the applicants. Following this recommendation, the board of the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft will reach a final decision by mid-November 2007.

For more information on the ongoing call for proposals, please go to:

Access to the full article is free, but requires you to register. Registration is simple and quick - all we need is your name and a valid e-mail address. We appreciate your interest in bridges.